The gunman who opened fire near the White House on Saturday had previously claimed online that he was “the real” Osama bin Laden and had also made posts expressing a desire to harm US President Donald Trump, according to multiple US media reports citing law enforcement sources.
The suspect has been identified by several news outlets as 21-year-old Nasire Best, though authorities had not immediately issued a formal public confirmation of his identity. Best was shot dead by US Secret Service agents after opening fire at a security checkpoint outside the White House while Trump was inside the building.
Court records and law enforcement sources indicated that Best had prior encounters with the Secret Service and was already known to authorities because of repeated incidents around the White House complex. Officials said he had previously approached security personnel and asked questions about access points to the presidential grounds.
Investigators reviewing his social media activity reportedly found posts in which he referred to himself as “the real Osama bin Laden.” Authorities also uncovered messages suggesting hostility toward Trump.
Reports also said Best had made claims that he was “God” and “Jesus Christ” and had previously undergone a mental health evaluation after incidents near the White House. Following earlier encounters, a judge had reportedly ordered him to stay away from the complex.
The shooting unfolded shortly after 6 p.m. near the White House security perimeter when the suspect allegedly removed a firearm and began shooting. Secret Service personnel returned fire, killing the attacker. One bystander was also wounded during the incident, while no officers were injured. Trump was not harmed and was later briefed on the situation. The FBI and local authorities are continuing to investigate the incident.
Comments are closed.