The National Testing Agency told a parliamentary panel on Thursday that the decision to conduct a re-test for NEET-UG 2026 was driven by irregularities and malpractices rather than what it described as a question paper “leak.”
During the meeting, NTA officials argued that developments surrounding the examination should not be characterized as a paper leak case, according to people familiar with the discussions. Members of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party also reportedly objected to the use of the term during deliberations.
According to reports, BJP MPs argued that even the agenda document circulated ahead of the meeting should not have used the phrase “paper leak” in relation to the controversy.
On May 12, the NTA announced the cancellation of the NEET-UG 2026 examination that had been conducted on May 3, stating that the test would be held again on fresh dates to be announced later.
NEET-UG is the nationwide entrance examination used for admissions into undergraduate medical programmes across India.
In its earlier statement, the testing agency said the decision was taken after reviewing information and findings shared by law enforcement agencies, which indicated that the integrity of the examination process had been compromised and that the results could not be allowed to stand.
The controversy surrounding the examination has triggered political debate and intensified scrutiny of the conduct of major national-level recruitment and entrance tests in recent years.
Comments are closed.