A large group of protesters gathered at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar on Friday, demanding changes to India’s caste-based reservation system and arguing that economic circumstances should play a greater role in determining access to government support.
The demonstration, organised under the banner of the ‘Reservation Reform Andolan’ and led by NEET aspirant Harsh Dubey, drew participants from the unreserved category. Many protesters were seen carrying saffron flags, placards and raising slogans calling for reservation benefits to be linked to economic need rather than caste.
Economic status over caste for government support
The protesters argued that assistance for education, coaching, scholarships and other government-supported programmes should be provided based on a person’s financial circumstances rather than caste.
One of the slogans raised during the protest was, ‘Reservation for the poor, not for caste.’
Participants said their demand was not to deny assistance to economically disadvantaged people. Instead, they called for government support to be directed toward those who need it most, irrespective of their caste background.
Some protesters also demanded the introduction of a creamy-layer criterion and changes to existing policies covering Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Classes.
Demand for repeal of SC/ST Act
Another major demand was the repeal of the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
Protesters alleged that the law could be misused against individuals and argued that its benefits did not always reach the most vulnerable sections of society. They urged the government to examine the issue and take steps to prevent alleged misuse.
The demand has become one of the more contentious aspects of the demonstration, alongside the broader opposition to caste-based reservation.
Protesters seek review of reservation policy
Several demonstrators questioned whether the existing reservation framework should continue unchanged decades after its introduction.
They argued that India’s social and economic conditions have evolved and called for a broader discussion on whether reservation policies should be reviewed to better address economic disadvantage.
The protesters maintained that economically weaker sections should continue receiving assistance through measures such as scholarships, fee waivers and coaching support, but said access should be determined by financial need rather than caste alone.
UGC equity rules also opposed
The protesters also raised objections to the University Grants Commission’s equity regulations.
The rules have faced opposition from sections of the public who argue that the framework could institutionalise caste-based distinctions in educational institutions. Demonstrators at Jantar Mantar included the issue among their broader demands for changes to policies they consider linked to caste.
Police deployment and detentions
The protest drew significant security arrangements at Jantar Mantar, including barricades and deployment of Delhi Police and Rapid Action Force personnel.
The Rajasthan-based General Sena and Chanakya Sena, along with Karni Sena, joined the agitation. Influencer Ajeet Bharti, who has spoken publicly about reservation and UGC equity regulations, was also present.
Protesters said their demonstration would remain peaceful. One participant described them as ‘nationalist protesters’ gathered to put forward their demands rather than engage in violence.
Later in the day, Delhi Police detained several protesters. Police said no permission had been granted for a demonstration, protest or procession at Jantar Mantar.
According to a police official, permission had instead been issued for a peaceful protest at Ramlila Ground, with an NOC allowing up to 500 people to participate until 4 pm.
The Jantar Mantar demonstration therefore brought together several demands — from shifting government assistance toward economic criteria and introducing a creamy-layer provision to repealing the SC/ST Act and reviewing existing reservation policies.
Comments are closed.