Bangladesh is facing a major public health crisis after at least 459 children died from confirmed and suspected measles infections over.
The past two months, triggering political backlash and legal action against former interim government chief adviser Muhammad Yunus. According to Bangladesh health authorities, 75 deaths were officially confirmed as measles-related, while 384 others were classified as suspected cases till Sunday morning.
Amid growing outrage over the outbreak, a public interest litigation (PIL) was filed in the Bangladesh High Court seeking travel restrictions on Yunus and 24 others over allegations linked to a shortage of measles vaccines during his tenure, The Times of India reported.
Supreme Court lawyer M Ashraful Islam filed the petition, urging the court to direct an investigation into the alleged vaccine shortage and the role of Yunus and former health officials. The matter was expected to come up for hearing on Monday.
Data released by Bangladesh’s Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) showed that 57,846 suspected measles cases had been reported since March 15, including 1,274 fresh suspected infections in the previous 24 hours alone.
Authorities also confirmed 7,767 measles infections during the same period.
The outbreak has placed severe strain on Bangladesh’s healthcare system, with hospitals overwhelmed by children suffering from high fever, pneumonia and measles-related complications.
More than 42,000 suspected patients have reportedly been hospitalised since mid-March, while over 37,000 children have recovered.
Allegations over vaccine shortage
According to the TOI report, Bangladesh experienced a serious shortage of measles vaccines between 2024 and 2025, when Yunus headed the interim administration.
Health experts and doctors associated with the ‘Bangladesh Child Protection Initiative’ blamed the interim government and the then health administration for failing to maintain adequate vaccine supplies, alleging the shortage contributed to the rapid spread of the disease.
The group has also demanded legal action against Yunus and former health adviser Nurjahan Begum.
Public protests over the crisis have intensified in recent days.
Activists under the banner of ‘Socheton Nagorik Samaj’ formed a human chain in Dhaka, demanding accountability for the deaths linked to measles and related illnesses. Protesters also called for compensation for affected families.
Medical experts have urged the Bangladesh government to accelerate vaccination drives and establish dedicated “fever corners” at local health centres for faster diagnosis and treatment of measles and pneumonia cases.
Healthcare system under pressure
An earlier AFP report described the outbreak as Bangladesh’s worst measles crisis in decades, with hospitals struggling to cope with the surge in infections.
The report said Bangladesh had earlier achieved strong vaccination coverage, but the nationwide unrest during the 2024 uprising that led to the fall of former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina disrupted immunisation programmes across the country.
Authorities later launched an emergency measles-rubella vaccination campaign on April 5 with support from UNICEF, the World Health Organization and security agencies.
Officials said nearly 17 million children have been vaccinated so far under the emergency campaign.
However, health authorities acknowledged that vaccine coverage last year was only 59 percent — well below the 95 percent threshold needed to achieve herd immunity against measles.
Comments are closed.