India Takes Note of Trump’s Comments on Pakistan’s Nuclear Activities
The Indian government on Friday said that clandestine and illegal nuclear activities were “in keeping with Pakistan’s history,” responding to US President Donald Trump’s recent claims that Islamabad had been testing nuclear weapons.
MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal stated, “Clandestine and illegal nuclear activities are in keeping with Pakistan’s history, centred around decades of smuggling, export control violations, the AQ Khan network, and further proliferation. India has consistently highlighted these concerns to the international community. In this backdrop, we have taken note of President Trump’s comment about Pakistan’s nuclear testing.”
Trump, in a November 2 interview with CBS’ 60 Minutes, claimed that Russia, China, Pakistan, and North Korea were testing nuclear weapons, without providing detailed evidence. His remarks prompted speculation that Pakistan may have conducted secret nuclear tests between April and May 2025, following a series of earthquakes in the Afghanistan-Pakistan region with magnitudes similar to those recorded during Pakistan’s 1998 Chagai-I and Chagai-II nuclear tests.
Pakistan has denied any nuclear testing. A senior Pakistani security official told CBS News, “Pakistan was not the first to carry out nuclear tests and will not be the first to resume nuclear tests.” The statement comes as Islamabad seeks to strengthen ties with the Trump administration, aligning with several of its positions in recent months.
Since 1998, Pakistan has not conducted any nuclear tests, following its response to India’s Pokhran-II tests earlier that year.
Comments are closed.