NTA chief rejects NEET-UG 2026 paper leak claims, says only some questions surfaced

0

The National Testing Agency on Thursday told the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Education.

That the NEET-UG 2026 examination did not witness a complete paper leak, maintaining that only “certain questions came out” and that the exam was cancelled because of detected malpractice and irregularities, sources said.

The agency’s position appears to differ from remarks made earlier by Dharmendra Pradhan, who had publicly acknowledged a “breach in the chain of command” while addressing the controversy surrounding the medical entrance examination.

NEET-UG 2026, one of India’s largest entrance exams for undergraduate medical admissions, was cancelled after allegations surfaced that several questions from the examination had circulated beforehand through a so-called “guess paper”. The controversy triggered nationwide protests, a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation and scrutiny of the NTA’s functioning.

Following the backlash, the agency announced that a fresh examination would be conducted on June 21.

NTA Director General Abhishek Singh appeared before the parliamentary panel to explain the agency’s position. According to sources familiar with the proceedings, NTA officials informed the committee that while malpractice and irregularities were identified, they did not amount to a full compromise of the question paper.

Officials reportedly argued that even the circulation of a limited number of questions was sufficient to damage public trust in the examination process. The decision to cancel the test, they said, was taken under the agency’s “zero-tolerance” policy towards irregularities.

However, Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan had earlier admitted that there had been a breach in the examination system despite safeguards introduced after the 2024 NEET controversy.

Referring to recommendations made by a high-level committee headed by former K Radhakrishnan chairman K Radhakrishnan, Pradhan had said the government accepted responsibility for the lapse and would strengthen the system further.

The minister also described the incident as the work of an organised “education mafia” and stressed that the examination was cancelled to ensure fairness for genuine students.

During Thursday’s meeting, Higher Education Secretary Vineet Joshi and NTA officials reportedly informed the parliamentary panel that several reform measures had already been implemented to improve exam security, while work on additional safeguards was ongoing.

The Central Bureau of Investigation probe into the NEET controversy has already resulted in multiple arrests across states. Investigators have taken action against alleged intermediaries, coaching-linked operators, examination centre staff and others accused of facilitating irregularities.

NEET-UG RE-EXAM ON JUNE 21

The NTA has confirmed that the NEET-UG 2026 re-examination will be conducted on June 21 after the original May 3 exam was cancelled.

The agency said candidates will not have to register again or pay any fresh fee, as previous registrations will remain valid for the re-test. Fresh admit cards are expected to be issued before the examination.

Students have also been given the option to modify their preferred exam city choices ahead of the re-exam.

The test is scheduled to take place from 2 pm to 5:15 pm, with officials promising tighter security arrangements, stricter monitoring mechanisms and enhanced safeguards to prevent any repeat of the controversy.

Comments are closed.