NIA chargesheet details planning behind Pahalgam attack, points to Pakistan link

1

The National Investigation Agency has detailed the sequence of events surrounding the April 22 attack in Pahalgam in a chargesheet that investigators say establishes links between the attackers and handlers based in Pakistan.

According to the chargesheet, reviewed by HT, the attack at the Baisaran meadow area that left 26 people dead — including 25 Indian tourists and a pony operator — was allegedly planned by Lashkar-e-Taiba operative Sajid Saiffullah Jatt, also known as Langda, who investigators say shared location coordinates and operational instructions with the attackers.

The agency named seven accused in the case, including Sajid Jatt, three alleged attackers later killed in a security operation, two local residents accused of providing assistance, and the The Resistance Front and Lashkar-e-Taiba. Charges include murder, waging war against India and offences under the Arms Act and Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

According to investigators, digital evidence recovered from mobile phones allegedly used by the attackers contained communication records, location data and screenshots related to the operational plan. The NIA said analysis of social media activity, IP addresses and communication trails linked the attack’s online messaging and propaganda activity to locations in Pakistan.

The chargesheet also outlines events leading up to the attack, alleging that the attackers reached a nearby shelter on April 21 and received logistical support before moving toward the meadow area the following day.

Investigators further alleged that the attackers coordinated their movement inside the area and specifically intended to create maximum casualties.

The NIA said material evidence, communication patterns and what it described as a cross-border command structure point to a Pakistan-backed operation carried out through Lashkar-e-Taiba and The Resistance Front. Pakistan has previously rejected allegations of involvement in similar attacks.

The case remains under investigation.

Comments are closed.