BWF Worlds: PV Sindhu’s Medal Hopes End After Dramatic Loss to Wang Zhi Yi
PV Sindhu’s bid for a sixth World Championships medal ended in heartbreaking fashion on Thursday as the Indian star lost a thrilling three-game battle against World No. 2 Wang Zhi Yi of China in the women’s singles pre-quarterfinals in New Delhi.
Playing in front of a passionate home crowd at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium, the five-time world medallist fought back after losing the opening game but eventually went down 11-21, 21-15, 17-21 in an 88-minute contest.
The defeat ended Sindhu’s unbeaten record against Chinese opponents at the World Championships. She had won all eight of her previous matches against Chinese players at the prestigious event.
The biggest drama came late in the deciding game when Wang appeared to suffer cramps at 16-16. The Chinese shuttler went down on court and received a lengthy medical break before continuing. She appeared to struggle again at 17-18 and was allowed another break by the umpire.
The interruptions disrupted Sindhu’s momentum at a crucial stage. After Wang returned to the court, Sindhu committed several unforced errors and surrendered three consecutive points to lose the match.
Sindhu later admitted she was unsure whether Wang was genuinely injured.
“I don’t know if she was injured or not. Maybe that was her strategy or her way of playing. You never know. Maybe that’s her gameplay,” Sindhu said.
The Indian, however, accepted that she needed to remain focused and patient during the closing stages. “The last three points changed the game. I should have been more patient,” she said.
Wang rejected any suggestion that she had deliberately delayed the match, saying she had suffered cramps in both legs.
Despite the controversy surrounding the injury breaks, Sindhu produced an impressive fightback after being dominated in the opening game. She found her attacking rhythm in the second, using a mix of smashes, drops and strong net play to level the contest.
The Indian also made an excellent start to the decider, opening up an 8-4 lead and later moving 13-10 ahead. But Wang responded with five consecutive points to turn the game around.
Sindhu became increasingly aggressive in her attempts to regain control, while Wang’s defence remained strong. The Chinese shuttler eventually edged ahead before the late injury drama and held her nerve to complete the victory.
With Sindhu’s exit, India’s singles campaign at the World Championships came to an end. Ayush Shetty, who had stunned World No. 1 Shi Yuqi, was earlier beaten by Indonesia’s Alwi Farhan, while Lakshya Sen and Unnati Hooda had exited on Wednesday.
For Sindhu, the defeat was a painful end to what had been a spirited performance. A sixth World Championships medal at home was within reach, but after 88 minutes of high-quality badminton, the Indian star’s campaign ended just short of the finish line.
Comments are closed.