US-Iran Ceasefire Talks to Continue ‘Through Bombs’ if Tehran Doesn’t Shift Stand: US Official

0

Iran on Monday announced the formation of a new body to oversee operations in the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most strategically important shipping routes, amid escalating regional tensions and ongoing negotiations with the United States.

The newly established authority, named the Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA), will monitor and provide updates related to activity in the strait. Iranian media reports said the move is part of Tehran’s broader effort to tighten control over the waterway after warning that ships passing through the region could face new regulations and transit-related charges.

The announcement comes as Iran confirmed that indirect talks with the United States are continuing through Pakistan, which is reportedly acting as a mediator between the two sides. Tehran said it had responded to a fresh American proposal aimed at ending the conflict that erupted following US and Israeli strikes on Iranian targets in late February.

According to Iranian media reports, the US proposal calls on Iran to scale back its nuclear programme and transfer its stockpile of enriched uranium to the United States. Iranian officials, however, have claimed that Washington has refused to release a large portion of frozen Iranian assets or compensate Tehran for damages caused during the conflict.

Meanwhile, tensions across the Gulf region remain elevated. Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates reported separate drone-related incidents on Sunday, though no group has so far claimed responsibility for the attacks.

US President Donald Trump once again warned Iran to reach a peace agreement quickly or face severe consequences, saying there “won’t be anything left of them” if tensions continue to escalate.

Comments are closed.